Header


--The only blog dedicated to all things LEGO mosaics.--

A Blog by Casey M. and Katie W. | Guest writing by Dave W. and Sean & Steph M.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Mosaic: What is it?

I'm glad you asked! You can't really have a Mosaic blog, let alone a Lego Mosaic blog, without even knowing what one is!

Dictionary.com defines a Mosaic as
a picture or decoration made of small, usually colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass, etc.

but the Lego design school has my favorite definition:
A mosaic is a picture, pattern, or decorative design made by setting small colored pieces of material onto a surface. In art and architecture, mosaics are usually made of stone or ceramic pieces in a variety of colors set into cement or mortar.
Also, Mosaics come in all shapes and sizes and can be made on any
surface with enough adhesive. Plus, mosaics have been around for a very long time. It's not like it's a "new thing". The first one dates back to the second half of 3rd millennium BC. Seen left, is a cone-like wall mosaic courtyard from Uruk in Mesopotamia 3000 B.C. Even primitive and almost colorless, the mosaic displays an different design on each pillar. Mosaics became even more complex and popular as time went on, being used a lot during the rein of the Roman Empire, being used to decorate walls and floors. To learn more on the history of mosaics, I suggest reading it up on Wikipedia. Here's the link.


But on this blog, we're not doing normal mosaics. We're doing Lego ones. But what is "Lego?" Or more importantly, "What are Lego bricks?"

I had to do a "definition" in school once and I choose "Lego bricks" as my thing to define so mine is:

A type of toy consisting of interlocking bricks and pieces that have a tube inside the bottom and studs on the top so all pieces can be put together and taken apart easily.


And when you put those two things together, Mosaic and Lego, or "Lego bricks", you get something wonderful. Lego Mosaics. Seen right is my first attempt at a mosaic. The classic Lego logo on a 32x32 baseplate.

The rest of the blog will consist of creations from other builders and their mosaics, tutorials on how to get started in mosaics, and we might even get interviews on builders, about their mosaics. I'm new at this blogging thing so cut me a little slack. =P I'll get better as time goes on. :) Stick around!

~Casey~

3 comments:

  1. Hello there. I came across your blog while researching a Lego mosaic I recently purchased. I'm trying to find more information about it and this seems like the best place. It is a Spiderman 2 Lego mosaic poster that is approximately 30 inches wide and 45 inches tall. The dates show 2004 on the copyright. Any chance someone here is familiar with the mosaic? I can send pictures if necessary.

    Thanks,

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kevin. Not familiar with it. Pictures would help.

    - Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I can attach pictures here, so I'm sharing a link to my photo on google photos.
      https://photos.app.goo.gl/VQuHAhhHWB964BJh2

      Delete